It is the sequence of living organisms in which one organism consumes another organism for energy. It is unidirectional (single directional).
- In a food chain, various steps where transfer of energy takes place is called a trophic level.
- The green plants capture 1% of sun’s energy.
- The flow of energy is unidirectional in a food chain.
- There is gradual decrease in the amount of energy from one trophic level to next trophic level in a food chain.
10 Percent Law
- The energy available at each successive trophic level is 10% of the previous level’s only 10% of Energy is transferred to next trophic level while 90%of energy is used by present trophic level in its life processes.
- The concentration of harmful chemical increases with every next trophic level in a food chain. It is called Bio-magnification
- Maximum concentration of such chemicals get accumulated in human bodies. Since humans occupy the top level in any food chain.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post? Please mention your Email so that we can contact you for better feedback.