Importance and Application of Coordination Compounds:
- EDTA is used in the estimation of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in hardwater. The Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions form stable complexes with EDTA.
- Metals can be purified by the formation and subsequent decomposition of their coordination compounds. For example, impure nickel is converted to [Ni(CO)4], which is decomposed to yield pure nickel.
- In analytical chemistry [Ni(DMG)2]2+ complex is used in the detection of Ni in chocolates.
- In medicine, cisplatin, a cis isomer of [Pt(Cl)2(NH3)2] is used in the treatment of cancer.
- Solutions of the complexes like [Ag(CN)2]– and [Au(CN)2]– can be used for the smooth and even electroplating of metals by gold or silver.
- Chlorophyll, a pigment responsible for photosynthesis, is a coordination compound of magnesium. Also, haemoglobin, the red pigment of blood which acts as oxygen carrier is a coordination compound of iron.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!