Importance and Application of Coordination Compounds:
- EDTA is used in the estimation of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in hardwater. The Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions form stable complexes with EDTA.
- Metals can be purified by the formation and subsequent decomposition of their coordination compounds. For example, impure nickel is converted to [Ni(CO)4], which is decomposed to yield pure nickel.
- In analytical chemistry [Ni(DMG)2]2+ complex is used in the detection of Ni in chocolates.
- In medicine, cisplatin, a cis isomer of [Pt(Cl)2(NH3)2] is used in the treatment of cancer.
- Solutions of the complexes like [Ag(CN)2]– and [Au(CN)2]– can be used for the smooth and even electroplating of metals by gold or silver.
- Chlorophyll, a pigment responsible for photosynthesis, is a coordination compound of magnesium. Also, haemoglobin, the red pigment of blood which acts as oxygen carrier is a coordination compound of iron.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post? Please mention your Email so that we can contact you for better feedback.