Preparation of Hydrogen Chloride:
It is prepared by heating sodium chloride with concentrated sulphuric acid.
Properties of Hydrogen Chloride:
- HCl is a colourless gas with a pungent odour.
- It is extremely soluble in water
- It decomposes salts of weaker acids.
- It has a pungent suffocating smell.
- The gas fumes in moist air.
- It is heavier than air (vapour density is 18.25). it is easily liquefied to a colourless liquid (b.p. 189 K) and freezes to a white crystalline solid (f.p. 159 K).
- Its b.p is 189 K and m.p. is 159 K.
Uses of Hydrogen Chloride:
- Hydrogen chloride is used in medicine and as a laboratory reagent.
- It is used in the manufacture of chlorine, NH4Cl and glucose.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post? Please mention your Email so that we can contact you for better feedback.